On Sep 9th 2009 at 9am PST Apple invited selected journalists to a special event in San Francisco. Apple did not bring up the Rolling Stones with Mick Jagger on stage of the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater … but their song “It’s only Rock’n Roll (But I like it)” from 1974 was the intro of the event 😉
Steve Jobs showed up on stage the first time since his liver transplantation and got a very warm welcome. Great to see, that he is doing better, now. He and Phil Schiller shared a lot of news and innovations:
Here are the facts of the 75min event:
- Apple sold 30 million iPhones over the last 2 years
- In total they sold 220 million iPods since now. 20 million of these are iPod touch and 100 million are iPod Nano devices
- This means of over 50 million customers have access to the AppStore and can buy apps.
- 1.8 billion AppStore app-downloads (without updates)
- iTunes is #1 music retailer in the world
- iTunes has more than 100 million accounts
iTunes & iPhone OS update:
- iTunes 9 and iPhone OS update 3.1
- Genius-recommendations for apps in the AppStore
- 30.000 ringtones
- Genius Mixes … automatic mixes of songs in your library
- Improved synchronization
- Management of the iPhone / iPod touch apps within iTunes
- Home Sharing of songs
- Improved interface and optimized navigation within iTunes
- iTunes LP for music albums – the interactive replacement for LP-booklets
- iTunes Extras for Movies – Extras and chapter-selection for movies
- iTunes wish list
Sneak previews of new games:
- Ubisoft – Ben Mattens: Assasins Creed II Discovery
- Tapulous – Bart Decrem: Riddim Ribbon
- Gameloft – Mark Hickey: Nova
- EA Electronic Arts – Travis Boatman: Madden NFL 10
Update of the iPod product line:
- iPod touch – new price tags for iPod touch: $199 8GB – $299 – 32GB – $399 64GB. The two bigger models also have a faster processor and are up to 50% faster and they also support OpenGL ES 2.0 – like the iPhone 3GS.
- iPod classic – now comes with 160GB at the same price
- iPod shuffle – new colors and better prices as well as a new polished stainless steel special edition.
- iPod Nano – comes with a video camera, an fm-radio, audio recording, a pedometer and in many different colors.