Apple CEO Steve Jobs gave a presentation on the iPhone 4 antenna issue today, July 16th 2010. The Quicktime video stream is worth watching … and the Apple team really shows a great sense of humor: It all starts with the “iPhone Antenna Song” from Jonathan Mann. Steve Jobs had enough guts to start the presentation with this great little song and it’s chorus line “If you don’t like an iPhone 4 – don’t buy it! If you bought one and you don’t like it – bring it back!”.
So congrats to Jonathan for writing and performing it … and Steve for featuring it.
Press conference facts in short:
- Smartphones have weakspots … so the iPhone 4 shares the problem with many other smartphones
- AppleCare data shows that complains about the antenna are minimal (0,55%)
- ATT return rates are 1/3 of the return rates of the iPhone 3GS
- ATT call drop rate is a little bit higher compared with the iPhone 3GS (less than one additional call per hundred)
Conclusion from Apple:
- Updated iOS 4.0.1 – Fixes bars and Exchange bug
- Free iPhone case for every iPhone 4 customer … or a full refund for the bumper if you already bought one
- … if you’re still not happy … you’ll get a full refund if you return your undamaged iPhone 4 within 30 days of purchase.